The CAA was registered under the Alberta Societies Act on August 19, 2009, with the following firms as founding members:
- ACI Architecture Inc.
- Cannon Design Architecture Inc.
- DIALOG (formerly Cohos Evamy Integrated Design)
- GEC Architecture
- Group2 Architecture Engineering
- HIP Architects (now part of Kasian)
- IBI Group
- Kasian Architecture Interior Design and Planning Ltd.
- Reimagine Architects (formerly Manasc Isaac Architects Ltd.)
- MTA Urban Design Architecture Interior Designs Inc. (formerly Marshall Tittermore Architects)
- Rockliff Pierzchajlo Architects and Planners Ltd.
- S2 Architecture
- Barbara Shipman Architecture
- Sturgess Architecture
- Stantec Architecture
- START Architecture (formerly HFKS Architects Inc. and ONPA Architects)
The board hired an executive director at the end of August that year, who, with the board’s direction and support, began the foundational work of the organization.
Through the ensuing decade, the CAA has built strong stakeholder relationships with industry partners (such as the Consulting Engineers of Alberta and the Alberta Construction Association), and key client groups like Alberta Infrastructure and the cities of Edmonton and Calgary.
Thanks to the volunteer efforts of committed members, we’re tackling major issues for our profession, such as procurement practices, perceptions of the value of architects, and the role architects can play in reducing our carbon footprint right here in Alberta.