CAA news … working on your behalf (March 2017)
City of Calgary Construction Projects Session
The City of Calgary is running a second/final information session for Engineers and Architects who prepare/manage construction projects for The City of Calgary on the new construction procurement docs. Details of the event are below. A copy of the presentation is also attached.
Information Session on The City of Calgary’s Construction Procurement Documents
Date: April 4, 2017
Location: 625 25 Ave SE, Bow River Room
Over the last 18 months, The City has been working with internal and external stakeholders – the Calgary Construction Association, Alberta Roadbuilders and Heavy Construction Association, Consulting Engineers of Alberta and Consulting Architects of Alberta – to develop and pilot a new suite of construction procurement documents. The City’s primary goals for developing these documents are:
· emphasis on fair, open, transparent procurement processes;
· balanced and fair allocation of risk (e.g. risk allocated to the party best able to manage it) in Standard General Conditions;
· promotion of efficiencies that expedite preparation and use of documents for City staff and external stakeholders;
· use of plain and consistent language;
· preparation of a suite of documents that allow for interchangeable plug-ins for different delivery methods (Design/Bid/Build and Construction Management are completed, Design/Build is still in preparation).
As the documents are finalized, we will release samples to internal and external stakeholders. The first documents, being released, include:
· Request for Tenders Fixed Price Construction
· Request for Proposals Binding Fixed Price Construction
· Request for Proposals Non-Binding Construction Management
· Request for Proposals Non-Binding Fixed Price Construction
· Standard General Conditions Construction
Future construction procurement documents in development include:
· Request for Proposals Non-Binding Design/Build Construction
Samples of the documents are available for viewing on my City
The City phased in the new documents on January 2, 2017. This information session will highlight some of the key changes in the new procurement documents/processes and there will be an opportunity to ask questions. If you are interested in attending please email Mary Lifton or call 1.403.268.3578.